Why is this important?
Organisations that handle and store information about other people (“Personal Data”) have a legal obligation to ensure that reasonable steps are taken to ensure that the information is protected from unauthorised access and theft.
The Data Protection Act
The Data Protection Act 1998 affects all organisations that collect and use personal data
about individuals. The Act gives a number of rights to the people (‘data subjects’)
whose data we hold and AMCS is legally required to comply with the Act to protect the civil liberties of the Members who are the data subjects.
What does this mean for AMCS?
- AMCS Members may not use or keep or disclose any information about the organisation’s Members for any other purpose than is relevant and appropriate to AMCS business and for which the person gave their consent.
- People will be made aware that by giving AMCS their details (such as email/phone/address etc.), they are giving us permission to contact them to keep them informed about AMCS work and activities, including fundraising etc.
- AMCS will not sell or otherwise share personal data with other organisations.
- Members should be aware that they can opt out of some or all communication from us at any time
- Personal details, including email addresses and phone numbers, will not be shared or otherwise disclosed unless the person in question has given their prior consent.
- Individuals whose information we keep are allowed to obtain access to that information. If a Member requests access to the information we hold about them, AMCS will respond in a timely and helpful way (usually within 28 days). Any such personal information requests should be made to the Chairman and accompanied by a £10 processing fee
- Only information essential to the AMCS’s work will be stored
- Data held electronically will not be kept in cloud storage facilities
- The Membership application form will contain an OPT-OUT option for data sharing
- The Membership can opt out of AMCS communications by contacting the Membership Secretary in writing
- Personal details will be deleted when Membership ceases
- Individual Members agree to abide by the terms of the Data Protection Act 1998